Spring is here, which is the time when many of us do a deep “Spring Clean” of our homes. Proper cleaning and maintenance are essential to keep wood floors looking beautiful and performing well for as many years as possible. It will enhance the performance of the floor, will prolong the lifetime of the floor, and ultimately, will protect your investment. Here are some helpful cleaning and maintenance tips to help keep your floors looking their very best for years to come.
- Clean Floors Last– It’s best to clean rooms from the top down so that any dust and debris won’t end up on a newly-cleaned floor.
- Daily Cleaning– Use a broom or micro-fiber dust-mop which can catch a lot of the daily dust/debris/pet-hair that finds its way onto our floors.
- Weekly Cleaning– Vacuums can be used on the bare-floor setting (beater bar turned OFF). However, be careful as the extra weight and tools of a vacuum could scuff or damage a wood floor.
- Monthly Cleaning– Use a spray mop cleaner designed for your floor type. Avoid using excess amount of liquid on your floors or using a steam mop, as they both can damage your floor’s finish.
- Polyurethane Finished Floors– For polyurethane floors, we recommend Bona cleaners and mops which can be found here: https://us.bona.com/products.html.
- Oiled or Non-Poly Finished Floors– Use your hardwood manufacturers recommended cleaner which your flooring professional can provide or direct you to the right solution for your floor. Do NOT use a vinegar solution as this could cause your floors to have a hazy or cloudy look to them. Oiled floors need a cleaner with the right oils in them to replenish the oils already within the wood floor.
- Maintenance Coat– Over time, when your wood floors start to look a little dull, they can be renewed through re-coating or re-oiling. This involves having a flooring professional apply a new coat of wood floor finish or oil usually every 4-10 years. If this step is not completed, you will more than likely have to re-sand and refinish your entire floors which is a much more involved, messy and costly process.
Recommended Maintenance Schedule:
Whatever type of wood floors you have, we can help guide you to the correct cleaners and maintenance schedule for your floors. We can also help with maintenance re-coating or re-oiling to help renew your floors luster. Give us a call today at 859-581-1800 or schedule a consultation at www.mansionhillcustomfloors.com.